How do I know if I need a Compass Project? How can Compass help my organization fulfill its mission?
Is a Board Development project right for me? What to consider:
- How active and engaged is your board?
- Do you need more diversity on your board (e.g. ethnicity, gender, age, and tenure)?
- Do board members understand their role in fundraising?
- Do you have updated bylaws? Do you use board committees effectively?
- Do you have term limits and a board leadership succession plan?
- Does the board evaluate itself? Does the board evaluate the Executive Director?
Is a Funding Strategy right for me? What to consider:
- Are you overly reliant on one source of funding?
- Is there any risk to your primary revenue stream(s)?
- Are you considering launching an earned income venture?
- Do you see an opportunity to cultivate new individual donors or major donors?
- Would you like to diversify your donors?
- Do you use social media effectively?
- Are you effectively communicating your impact externally?
- Do you have a current strategic plan?
Is a Strategic Alignment project right for me? What to consider:
- Do your programs support your organization’s mission?
- Are your organization’s resources (i.e. people, processes, and technology) aligned appropriately across your programs?
- Do your resources support the programs that most fulfill your mission?
- Are you considering launching a new program or expanding services?
- Do you have a process for evaluating new program opportunities?
Is a Strategic Partnerships and Collaborations project right for me? What to consider:
- Would you like to collaborate with other local nonprofits to accomplish shared goals?
- Do you have a specific nonprofit(s) in mind as a potential partner? If so, would you like to explore the opportunities to work with that organization?
- Are your funders asking you to find ways to collaborate with other nonprofits?
Is a Strategic Planning project right for me (Greater Washington only)? What to consider:
- Is it time to revisit your organization’s mission and vision?
- Do you need a strategic roadmap for the next 3-5 years?
- Do your board and staff agree on the organization’s priorities?
Is a Strategic Marketing project right for me? What to consider:
- Do you want to understand the opportunities to expand existing programs into new markets or deeper into existing markets?
- Do you want to understand the opportunities to launch new programs into existing markets or new markets?
- Is there an opportunity to strengthen your positioning in the market so your programs and services are clearly differentiated?
- Do you have a strategic marketing plan in place?
What does the application process look like?
Our application opens each year in April with a June deadline. During July and August, we interview the Executive Director and the Board Chair of each nonprofit applicant. We select clients in August. Classic Projects begin in September. We also offer Micro Projects in Greater Washington by invitation only. Micro Projects begin in January.
What are the requirements of Compass nonprofit clients?
Compass asks clients to sign an Engagement Letter, provide organizational documents for their team, attend two events in the fall: Client Orientation and Project Launch, complete a Mid-Project and End-of-Project survey, and attend the Volunteer Celebration in May. Clients must be accessible to their volunteer teams throughout their project.
Can former Compass Clients apply for an additional project?
Many past clients do apply for additional projects. However, most clients benefit from taking at least one year off between projects.