Providing $8 million of pro bono consulting services since 2013, Compass Philadelphia serves the greater region including Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties in Pennsylvania and Camden County in New Jersey.
Compass recruits, trains and supports teams of business professionals. We work with MBAs from top business schools, and other volunteers with experience in different functional areas, including strategic planning, finance, marketing & communications, change management, technology, operations, and consulting. We welcome business professionals at varying stages of the careers.
Each nonprofit client receives approximately $150,000 of strategic consulting services – free of charge. Our volunteers not only deliver focused analyses and recommendations, but also provide advice along the way, so nonprofits can internalize the most useful and relevant management principles.
See the list of current Compass Philadelphia clients here.
What We Offer
We provide consulting services in five service lines. When applying for a project, nonprofits must select one service line. Nonprofits can reapply for a different service line in future years.
- BOARD DEVELOPMENT projects improve board effectiveness and engagement to sustain a high-performing board. Compass helps the Board build a foundation for governance, recruitment, training, committee structures, and meeting practices.
- FUNDING STRATEGY projects help nonprofits broaden or deepen their sources of revenue and work toward long-term sustainability through effective fundraising. These projects can recommend untapped sources for funding, screen out less promising sources, recommend improved communication, or evaluate earned income ventures. (Applicants must have a current strategic plan in place.)
- PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATIONS help nonprofits interested in working with other nonprofits. We can assess the value and implications of strategic partnerships and collaborations.
- STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT projects help nonprofits articulate their strategic goals, so the entire organization is aligned. These projects examine mission, vision, programs, targeted beneficiaries, desired changes, strategic objectives and supporting activities, as well as the alignment of financial/staff resources and strategic priorities. The exact focus varies depending on each client’s needs and situation.
- STRATEGIC MARKETING projects help identify and evaluate opportunities for expanding services in existing and new markets. This project can create a positioning statement and a strategy around new opportunities. (Note: Compass does not provide branding or collateral development, and applicants must have a current strategic plan in place.)
Click here for more information about applying for a Compass project as a nonprofit or as a volunteer. Or, contact Beth Dahle, Executive Director – Philadelphia, at email@example.com with interest.