Providing almost $13 million of pro bono consulting services since 2013, Compass Philadelphia serves the greater region including Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties in Pennsylvania and Camden County in New Jersey.
Compass recruits, trains and supports teams of business professionals. We work with MBAs from top business schools, and other volunteers with experience in different functional areas, including strategic planning, finance, marketing & communications, change management, technology, operations, and consulting. We welcome business professionals at varying stages of the careers.
Each nonprofit client receives approximately $150,000 of strategic consulting services – free of charge. Our volunteers not only deliver focused analyses and recommendations, but also provide advice along the way, so nonprofits can internalize the most useful and relevant management principles.
See the list of current Compass Philadelphia clients here.
What We Offer
We provide consulting services in six service lines. When applying for a project, nonprofits must select one service line. Nonprofits can reapply for a different service line in future years.
- *NEW* DECISION SUPPORT: As nonprofit leaders navigate the ongoing impact of COVID-19, many will need to make significant decisions and trade-offs over the next 12 months. Our new Decision Support Projects are designed to provide flexible consulting support to nonprofit leaders as they address challenges created by the crisis and focus on recovery and rebuilding. Whereas our other project options provide deep analysis and recommendations in one focus area (Service Line), Decision Support Projects can address priorities in several different areas. A Compass team can 1) generate data, analyze information, and create frameworks to support decision-making, 2) evaluate the consequences of course adjustments, 3) establish a communications plan around decisions made, and finally 4) help nonprofits plan for recovery, rebuilding, and ultimately greater sustainability.
- BOARD DEVELOPMENT: The goal of a Board Development project is to improve effectiveness and engagement to sustain a high-performing Board. Compass can provide an objective evaluation of Board operations and offer recommendations for best practices to build a solid foundation of governance, recruitment, training and committee structures. Compass can help the Board develop an appropriate style given its current membership and organizational needs, and offer guidance regarding leadership succession planning and strategies for involving the Board in development efforts.
- FUNDING STRATEGY: These projects assess revenue sources and revenue generation methods and can provide guidance to broaden or deepen current sources of revenue, recommend untapped sources for funding and screen out less promising avenues. Compass can also evaluate earned income ideas and offer recommendations to improve external communications.
- PARTNERSHIPS, COLLABORATIONS AND MERGERS: To make more efficient use of resources, nonprofits may consider partnering with other organizations with complementary expertise and strengths to fulfill a common mission. Compass can help assess the value and appropriateness of strategic partnerships, collaborations, or mergers and offer recommendations and an analysis of resulting implications.
- STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT: Compass can help nonprofits examine their mission, vision, programs, targeted beneficiaries, desired changes, strategic objectives and supporting activities to understand how to achieve the greatest impact. Strategic Alignment projects can examine the allocation of financial and staff resources across programs with regard to organizational priorities and can also help evaluate opportunities for service or program development. These projects can also help ensure that the Board and organization leadership are aligned around mission, vision, and key choices in preparation for strategic planning and/or long-term goal setting. The exact focus of individual projects varies depending on a nonprofit’s needs and situation with tailored recommendations to improve the organization’s strategic alignment and potential for success.
- STRATEGIC MARKETING: To help fulfill its mission and vision, Compass can help nonprofits identify opportunities for services and programs in existing and new markets. Compass can help create a positioning statement and develop an effective marketing strategy to take advantage of new opportunities. The project does not include collateral development.
Click here for more information about applying for a Compass project as a nonprofit or as a volunteer. Or, contact Beth Dahle, Executive Director – Philadelphia, at email@example.com with interest.