Providing over $50 million of pro bono consulting services since 2001, Compass Greater Washington serves the greater region including Montgomery County, MD and Northern Virginia.
Compass recruits, trains and supports teams of business professionals. We work with MBAs from top business schools, and other volunteers with experience in different functional areas, including strategic planning, finance, marketing & communications, change management, technology, operations, and consulting. We welcome business professionals at varying stages of their careers.
Each nonprofit client receives approximately $150,000 of strategic consulting services – free of charge. Our volunteers not only deliver focused analyses and recommendations, but also provide advice along the way, so nonprofits can internalize the most useful and relevant management principles.
To learn about other services, including board matching, board training, retreat facilitation and strategic planning, click here.
What We Offer in Strategic Consulting
We provide consulting services in six service lines. When applying for a project, nonprofits must select one service line. Nonprofits can reapply for a different service line in future years.
- BOARD DEVELOPMENT projects improve board effectiveness and engagement to sustain a high-performing board. Compass helps the Board build a foundation for governance, recruitment, training, committee structures, and meeting practices.
- FUNDING STRATEGY projects help nonprofits broaden or deepen their sources of revenue and work toward long-term sustainability through effective fundraising. These projects can recommend untapped sources for funding, screen out less promising sources, recommend improved communication, or evaluate earned income ventures. (Applicants must have a current strategic plan in place.)
- PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATIONS projects are for nonprofits interested in working with other nonprofits. We can assess the value and implications of strategic partnerships and collaborations.
- STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT projects help nonprofits articulate their strategic goals, so the entire organization is aligned. These projects examine mission, vision, programs, targeted beneficiaries, desired changes, strategic objectives and supporting activities, as well as the alignment of financial/staff resources and strategic priorities. The exact focus varies depending on each client’s needs and situation.
- STRATEGIC MARKETING projects help identify and evaluate opportunities for expanding services in existing and new markets, These projects can create a positioning statement and a strategy around new opportunities. (Note: Compass does not provide branding or collateral development, and applicants must have a current strategic plan in place.)
- TECHNOLOGY STRATEGY PILOT PROJECTS: Compass will offer a limited number of Technology Strategy pilot projects this year. Organizations interested in this opportunity must set up time to speak with Compass prior to submitting an application.These projects will determine how the organization can leverage technology to enhance its ability to deliver on its mission and support the organization’s short- and long-term goals. Project objectives may include developing a more cohesive and efficient technology strategy for an organization or may focus more narrowly on how data collection and analytics can better enable strategic decision-making. These projects will assess and provide recommendations for staffing, processes, and technology associated with the organization’s stated project objective. We welcome the opportunity to discuss this new offering with interested nonprofits.